What are BCAAs?
Branched chain amino acids, better known as BCAAs, comprise of leucine, isoleucine and valine, three of the nine essential amino acids our bodies need to help the energies and repair the body and develop lean body mass.
Much like the other amino acids, they are the primary structural units of proteins, so must be supplied through diet.
How could supplementing a diet with BCAAs be useful for an athlete?
BCAAs make up 35% of muscle mass and are the most intensively-consumed essential amino acids during sporting activity.
BCAAs supplementing is particularly useful for athletes due to their reconstructive and structural function. BCAAs are involved directly in muscular work and help to:
- Stimulate protein synthesis
- Increase energy and muscular endurance
- Prevent the breakdown of muscle mass during exercise and low-calorie diets
- Support recovery after a workout
BCAAs are naturally found in protein-rich foods, but first the body has to split the proteins in order to make use of them. BCAA supplements provide branched chain amino acids in a free form, making them immediately available to the body. The use of BCAA supplements allows you to control your protein intake, thereby alleviating any strain on the digestive system and the liver, thus ensuring that precious blood is not directed away from active muscle mass.
When should you take them?
Taking BCAA supplements is useful both before and after intense, prolonged aerobic exercise.
BEFORE exercise to help:
- Provide energy during muscular exertion
- Prevent unnecessary strain on the digestive system or divert blood needed for active muscles
- Combat tiredness and fatigue
AFTER exercise to assist:
- Protein synthesis processes
- Maintenance of muscle mass during intense athletic performances and low-calorie diets
- Recovery phase and decreasing post-workout catabolism.
Can I use BCAAs even when I’m not exercising?
We recommend that you only use BCAA supplements on workout days or whilst training and only for short periods of time, unless under medical supervision.
NAMEDSPORT> BCAA 4:1:1 ExtremePRO
Our laboratories have developed a BCAA formulation for specific sporting and nutritional needs.
- High quality pure Ajinimoto® Ajipure® sourced amino acids
- Amino acids support protein synthesis, the building of muscle and muscle recovery
- Vitamin B6 helps combat tiredness and fatigue
- Enriched with vitamin B6 to combat tiredness and fatigue